Definition of superlative in English:
1Of the highest quality or degree: a superlative piece of skill
More example sentences
- It also makes one wonder how many superlative pieces of literature might be lurking out there, forgotten.
- He was supposed to be recognized for his superlative skill with flight combat and drafted immediately into the test pilot corps.
- At that time it was a contemporary drama; now it is a period piece, and the transition is managed with superlative intelligence.
excellent, magnificent, wonderful, glorious, marvellous, brilliant, supreme, consummate, outstanding, prodigious, dazzling, remarkable, formidable, fine, choice, sterling, first-rate, first-class, of the first water, of the first order, of the highest order, premier, prime, unsurpassed, unequalled, unparalleled, unrivalled, unbeatable, peerless, matchless, singular, unique, transcendent, best, greatest, worthiest, pre-eminent, perfect, faultless, flawless
North American badass
2 Grammar (Of an adjective or adverb) expressing the highest or a very high degree of a quality (e.g. bravest, most fiercely). Contrasted with positive and comparative.
- The result was a phenomenal success and classical music critics around the world competed with each other to invent ever-new terms of superlative praise.
nounBack to top
2 (usually superlatives) An exaggerated or hyperbolical expression of praise: the critics ran out of superlatives to describe him
More example sentences
- And the only one who saw through the hyperbole and the meaningless superlatives was my Aunt Petunia, and she was half-deaf.
- After writing nearly 100 DVD reviews, one begins to run out of superlatives to describe the better discs which pass before the eyes and ears.
- I can heap superlatives attempting to describe the merits of this film.
- [as submodifier]: he was superlatively fitMore example sentences
- In the dry season (December to June) Castara Bay is superlatively clear, with a healthy coral reef beginning about 50 yards offshore.
- The action is covered in a series of long takes with superlatively choreographed movement within the frame.
- He had been recognized years ago as a superlatively gifted and disciplined craftsman.
- Example sentences
- It is a movement of life which shows life in its superlativeness and at its best.
- It is applied as an epithet denoting superlativeness of any quality.
- I agree with you on the superlativeness of a really good dark chocolate truffle.