1The action of suppressing something such as an activity or publication: the heavy-handed suppression of political dissent
More example sentences
- Boucher said the government's continued intimidation and repression of the opposition and its violent suppression of peaceful public protests were not conducive to beginning a dialogue.
- Nevertheless, a significant portion of the public supported the forcible suppression of campus protests.
- Some books have been unjustly censored, he argued, and many writers and booksellers were punished too severely when all that was required was the simple suppression of publication.
subduing, defeat, conquering, vanquishing, repression, crushing, quelling, quashing, squashing, stamping out, crackdown, clampdown, cowing, prevention, extinction;
censorship, keeping secret, concealment, hiding, keeping hidden, hushing up, gagging, withholding, covering up, smothering, stifling, muzzling, banning, non-disclosure, proscription, outlawing, restriction
1.1 Medicine Stoppage or reduction of a discharge or secretion.
- Duodenal ulcers can be healed, but not cured, by pharmacological suppression of acid secretion below this threshold.
- With the advent of potent acid suppression, surgical interventions that increase the barrier function of the lower esophagus should be avoided.
- The FDA has just approved Seasonale, which provides three months of continuous contraception and menstrual suppression.
1.3 Genetics The cancelling of the effect of one mutation by a second mutation.
- The suppression of the mutant phenotype of a1-mum2 aleurones takes several generations.
- In addition, enhancement or suppression of the H mutant phenotype was evaluated.
- Thus, suppression of the cut mutant wing phenotype is most likely due to the overexpression of Lola.
1.4 Psychology The restraint or repression of an idea, activity, or reaction by something more powerful.
- Psychodynamic issues may center on suppression or repression of aggression relating to unmet emotional needs.
- The ideas of separate color and verbal processing and suppression of incorrect verbal responses suggest an explanation for incongruency loss.
- Repression or suppression of intense feelings beneath a calm exterior is also associated with elevated blood pressure.
1.5 Psychoanalysis The conscious inhibition of unacceptable memories, impulses, or desires.
- Conscious suppression of a memory is a more plausible explanation for the failure to recall an event than repression.
- Cycles of recognition, repression or suppression and recovery of truth can be extrapolated both from the course of individual analytic treatments and social struggles.
- A major component of codependence is emotional repression and suppression.
1.6Prevention of electrical interference.
- For the particular cause of interference suppression, where might these come from?
- This provides some suppression, but the residual signal may still exceed detection thresholds.
- Butcher concedes that the degree of suppression is relatively small.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sup|pres¦sion
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.