- Denoting a feature of an utterance other than the consonantal and vocalic components, for example (in English) stress and intonation.More example sentences
- The general aim of this work was to analyze the suprasegmental features of the male voice during a seductive interaction compared with the characteristics of neutral speech.
- On the basis of our present data analyses, it is, however, not possible to judge whether the problem is at a segmental level, suprasegmental level, or both.
- The move towards writing poetry down deprived it of music, perhaps, certainly of the suprasegmental qualities of pitch, timbre, etc., which are personal in a physiological sense.
nounBack to top
- A suprasegmental feature.More example sentences
- The English consonant sounds and suprasegmentals also present difficulties for native speakers of Spanish.
- They discover, for example, that, unlike sounds, suprasegmentals can change according to meaning.
- Just taking a look at the symbols for suprasegmentals, you can see that there's a lot of detail to account for.
More definitions of suprasegmentalDefinition of suprasegmental in:
- The US English dictionary