Definition of surpassing in English:
adjectivedated or literary
Incomparable or outstanding: a picture of surpassing beauty
More example sentences
- Frequently incorrect, occasionally even inaccurate, he nevertheless stirs orchestras into producing sounds of surpassing beauty, using wildly unconventional hand movements that even he cannot reproduce when not conducting.
- Many people know the story of Padmini, the queen of Chittaur, whose surpassing beauty led Alauddin Khilji, the Sultan of Delhi, to wage a ruthless war.
- They will enter a hall of surpassing beauty, with walls of Douglas fir that flow as elegantly as the lines of a fine instrument, a space as soulful in its way as the cathedral's nave.
exceptional, extraordinary, remarkable, outstanding, striking, phenomenal, rare, great, supreme, sublime, pre-eminent, consummate, incomparable, inimitable, incredible, unrivalled, unparalleled, matchless, unmatched, unequalled, peerless, unsurpassed, superlative, beyond words, beyond description
- Example sentences
- The small pursed mouth was gracefully opened to shape surpassingly sweet words.
- He was always cool - and not because he adapted his personality to meet the definitions of the era, but because he was surpassingly cool.
- This could only be achieved by a surpassingly brilliant editor.
Words that rhyme with surpassingpassing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan