1A person who examines the condition of land and buildings professionally.
- Chartered building surveyors will examine a property (particularly older ones) for structural damage such as subsidence, dry and wet rot and leaking roofs.
- An independent surveyor who examined the building last month reported that it would be unsafe to open the pool without some repairs to the roof and to other parts of the building.
- The company is no longer in existence, and today a firm of chartered quantity surveyors occupies the premises.
1.1British An official inspector of something, especially for measurement and valuation purposes: surveyors recorded the species and locations of fallen trees
More example sentences
- In the falling market of the early 1990s, up to half of properties were downvalued when the valuation surveyors came to visit, says Bunton of London & Country.
- Residential solicitors and valuation surveyors are colluding to ensure that the current unfair and expensive system is maintained.
- He joined the council in 1975 as a valuation surveyor and was appointed assistant director of property services in 1987, and director in 1991.
1.2A person who investigates or examines something, especially boats for seaworthiness: a marine surveyor
More example sentences
- The editors also liked the listings of thousands of boat ramps, marine surveyors, boat shows, nautical crossword puzzles, and free greeting cards.
- Hire a marine surveyor to inspect the boat prior to purchase.
- Long distance buyers can hire a marine surveyor located near the auction site to evaluate the boat and report on its condition.
- surveyorship noun
- Example sentences
- Robert Milliken resigned the county surveyorship to take charge of the city schools, as superintendent, in 1875.
- In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries it provided by far the greatest number of posts open to architects in the form of surveyorships and clerkships of the works.
- The surveyorship of St Paul's was traditionally held by the Surveyor of the King's Works, but Wren was increasingly involved in overseeing the project for rebuilding.
Words that rhyme with surveyorabaya, betrayer, conveyor, Eritrea, flayer, Freya, gainsayer, layer, Malaya, Marbella, Maya, Mayer, Nouméa, obeyer, payer, player, portrayer, prayer, preyer, purveyor, slayer, sprayer, stayer, strayer, waylayer, weigher
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.