- Any of various fevers with intense sweating, epidemic in England in the 15th-16th centuries.More example sentences
- They lived at Ludlow Castle, but had little time together, for poor Arthur died only a few months later, perhaps of tuberculosis or the fever called the sweating sickness.
- His two sons died of the sweating sickness in 1551, when the dukedom became extinct.
- Linking contagion with the poor has been common since at least the early modern period, when they were blamed for plague, typhus, sweating sickness, and syphilis.
More definitions of sweating sicknessDefinition of sweating sickness in:
- The US English dictionary