1A person or device that cleans a floor or road by sweeping: a street sweeper
More example sentences
- Two days ago I saw road sweepers and contractors cleaning the streets around Chessington and Hook and doing a good job of it.
- Guards, policemen, cleaning ladies and road sweepers will all be dancing in the street this weekend to launch the BBC's marketing campaign for The Queen's Golden Jubilee.
- Bagenalstown is to get a new ‘green machine’ - a mechanical sweeper to clean the streets of the town.
2 Soccer A player stationed behind the other defenders, free to defend at any point across the field and sometimes initiating and supporting attacks.
- But it is nothing like playing in the first team and I don't care where I play - be it right back, right wing back or sweeper - just as long as I can play regular football.
- Player 1 passes straight out, then moves to sweeper to defend.
- He plays more like a sweeper than a goalie, clearing the ball before the forward can even get to it.
3A small nocturnal shoaling fish of reefs and coastal waters, occurring chiefly in the tropical Indo-Pacific.
- Family Pempheridae: several genera and species, including the western Atlantic glassy sweeper (Pempheris schomburgki), with transparent young.
- Around the pinnacles, lionfish and coral groupers lay ready to apprehend stragglers from the shoals of sweepers, while yellow-mouthed moray eels poked their heads from gaps in the coral as I passed.
- Here we found lionfish, moray eels and sweepers.
- Entirely encrusted with corals, Mawali is a lively reef, sheltering huge scorpionfish, nudibranchs, sweepers, flower groupers, lionfish and harlequin ghost pipefish.
Words that rhyme with sweeperArequipa, beeper, bleeper, creeper, Dnieper, keeper, leaper, peeper, reaper, sleeper, weeper
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: sweep¦er
Definition of sweeper in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.