1A form of gambling, especially on horse races, in which all the stakes are divided among the winners: [as modifier]: a sweepstake ticket
More example sentences
- Some believe in a God who makes traffic lights turn green, who turns lottery tickets into sweepstake winners, and turns rain on a picnic day into sun.
- Back in the old days, when you entered a horse racing sweepstake you knew that only the person who drew the winning horse actually won anything.
- Inaugurated in the 1930s to raise money for Irish hospitals, the sweepstakes was based on the outcome of horse races.
1.2A prize or prizes won in a sweepstake.
- You will also be entered to win one of the sweepstakes prizes.
- The rollout will be supported with radio, print, outdoor and a heavy sampling campaign along with a sweepstakes that dangles prizes ranging from a million dollars to vacation getaways.
- As I sit down to write this column at the end of December 2003, we have received 287 responses - so huge a return that you'd think we were offering some sort of sweepstakes prize.
Definition of sweepstake in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.