A fern with long, slender fronds.
- Genera Polystichum and Nephrolepis, family Dryopteridaceae: several species, including the North American P. munitum and the tropical N. exaltata
More example sentences
- Some had fronds (fresh and/or dried) of sword fern woven into the structure.
- Thanks to a cool, moist climate, magnificent stands of sword fern grow in great sweeps on forest floors and form delicate tufts of green lace on rocky cliffs.
- For dry shade, consider bush anemone, Pacific Coast iris, or Western sword fern.
Definition of sword fern in:
- The US English dictionary