Definition of sympatric in English:
1(Of animals or plant species or populations) occurring within the same or overlapping geographical areas. Compare with allopatric.
- Populations of sympatric species often fluctuate in partial synchrony.
- We assigned geographic areas using the distributions of allopatric and sympatric species as a guide: North America, Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Greater Antilles.
- These two sympatric species are reproductively isolated and represent highly divergent lineages in the genus.
1.1(Of speciation) taking place without geographical separation.
- Attention has focused on a number of problems, including reinforcement, sympatric speciation, and the ecological context of speciation.
- The concept of sympatric speciation by host-race formation remains contentious because of the restrictive conditions that many workers have suggested are required, based on models using assumptions that may not be true.
- Indeed, sympatric speciation events have been observed in controlled experiments, under natural conditions, and also demonstrated by simulation models.
- Example sentences
- In addition, their definition of ‘superspecies’ makes exceptions for narrow sympatry, which obliterates the definition, because ‘allospecies’ should form the components of a superspecies.
- Although the two species were not found in sympatry, a population of P. elegans was found only 9 km away from a P. actinia population in Santo Antonio da Patrulha county.
- As revealed by comparisons of molecular and morphologic data in modern species, non-hybrid populations form distinct morphologic clusters in sympatry, which do not overlap and are usually separated by gaps.
Definition of sympatric in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan