Definition of symplast in English:
A continuous network of interconnected plant cell protoplasts.
- Where access to this space becomes restricted by an exodermal resistance, a greater proportion of the total flux of a material may be absorbed at the root periphery and pass from cell to cell via the symplast.
- It is possible that a proportion of ammonium fed to maize roots enters the symplast at the endodermis and is incorporated into amino acids within the pericycle which results in it becoming acidotic.
- Instead, it appears that there is a barrier to movement between the post-phloem symplast and the nucellus.
- 1symplastic adjective
- Example sentences
- These results suggest that movement of mineral oil in plants is both apoplastic via intercellular spaces and symplastic via plasmodesmata.
- In these cases sugar contents declined, possibly limiting translocation as in brown rust-infected barley leaves, in which apoplastic and symplastic sugar concentrations were reduced as export declined.
- It is therefore probable that much of the increase in sugars during sub-zero hardening was symplastic.
1930s: from German Symplast.
Definition of symplast in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.