- A junction between two nerve cells, consisting of a minute gap across which impulses pass by diffusion of a neurotransmitter.More example sentences
- There, electrical impulses propel vesicles into the cell wall to spray the neurotransmitter into the synapse.
- This results in a greater quantity of a particular neurotransmitter remaining in the synapse.
- It's at a synapse that one nerve cell releases chemicals to signal an adjoining nerve cell.
late 19th century: from Greek sunapsis, from sun- 'together' + hapsis 'joining', from haptein 'to join'.
More definitions of synapseDefinition of synapse in:
- The US English dictionary