- Relating to or denoting a type of joint which is surrounded by a thick flexible membrane forming a sac into which is secreted a viscous fluid that lubricates the joint: synovial fluidMore example sentences
- Synovial membranes lining the inside of the joint produce synovial fluid that provides nutrition to articular cartilage.
- The elbow joint is a synovial hinge joint limited to flexion and extension.
- Theories include vascular insufficiency or micro-fractures of the subchondral plate, with synovial fluid being forced from the synovial space into the bone.
mid 18th century: from modern Latin synovia, probably formed arbitrarily by Paracelsus.
More definitions of synovialDefinition of synovial in:
- The US English dictionary