Definition of synthesis in English:
noun (plural syntheses /-siːz/)[mass noun]
1The combination of components or elements to form a connected whole: the synthesis of intellect and emotion in his work [count noun]: the ideology represented a synthesis of certain ideas Often contrasted with analysis.
More example sentences
- Papers cited, many of which are either specific references to original ideas or syntheses of broad areas or topics, contain extensive bibliographic references to original data sources.
- I think a productive blog session would consciously use analyses like this as well as syntheses that provide the substance for such findings.
- He had plenty to play with: Postwar America was full of new musical syntheses.
2The production of chemical compounds by reaction from simpler materials: the synthesis of methanol from carbon monoxide and hydrogen
More example sentences
- Polymerization is another type of chemical reaction employed in organic synthesis to couple small monomeric units into a much larger chain.
- Other compounds function in chemical analysis and in synthesis in a chemistry laboratory of organic compounds.
- The advent of chemistry and chemical synthesis, however, saw their steady decline.
3(In Hegelian philosophy) the final stage in the process of dialectical reasoning, in which a new idea resolves the conflict between thesis and antithesis.
- It is also to be noted that the dialectical process is not simply from thesis and antithesis to final synthesis; it is an eternal, open-ended spiral of development.
- This antithesis found its synthesis in Stoicism, the philosophy of both master and slave… and so on.
- Every synthesis becomes a new thesis, which becomes the target of a new antithesis.
- Example sentences
- The decision to test empirically the impact of methodology on research results does not relieve the synthesist of all evaluation responsibilities.
- The synthesist of economic theory of the middle of the century, John Stuart Mill, had only the most marginal academic connections.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan