Definition of talapoin in English:
1A Buddhist monk or priest.
- They were also amazed at the large numbers of monks, or talapoins in the curious parlance of the time; even today substantial numbers of males join the monkhood at least for a short period of time.
- Many of the priests (talapoins) sat upon the rafts and wharves before their temples.
- The most characteristic part of the Siamese social system is the position of the priesthood, commonly called the talapoins.
2A small West African monkey that lives in large groups near watercourses and in swamp forest.
- Miopithecus talapoin, family Cercopithecidae
- Some species breed readily in captivity, as do rhesus; others, such as talapoins, are more difficult.
- Predators of talapoin monkeys include leopards, golden cats, genets, raptors, large snakes, and Nile monitors.
- This Pourquoi tale of the Mpongwe explains why talapoins live in trees.
Words that rhyme with talapoinsirloin
Definition of talapoin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.