A tall Indian palm with very large fan-shaped leaves and a flower that can reach 8 m tall. The leaves are used as sunshades and for thatching, and to make the material on which Buddhist sacred books are written.
- Corypha umbraculifera, family Palmae
More example sentences
- The flowering talipot is a breathtaking sight, but one that is becoming increasingly rare in the city these days.
- The use of the talipots and the lion flag were conceded by the king to a chief in the Uggalboda sannas, together with the use of the ceremonial torches.
- These were substantially built of timber and talipots, thatched with cadjans and bamboo leaves, and festooned and decorated as the Singhalese only can decorate - leaves, flowers and fruit being entwined together with so much delicacy and airy tastefulness as to impart an almost fairy-like form to the pavilion.
Definition of talipot in:
- The US English dictionary