Definition of tambourine in English:
A percussion instrument resembling a shallow drum with metal discs in slots around the edge, played by being shaken or hit with the hand.
- Musical groups danced the samba all the way, beating bongo drums and shaking tambourines.
- This page is great for inspiration as it suggests ways of making a tambourine, drum, chimes, horn, cymbals, xylophone, guitar, comb buzzer and hand bells.
- Every song they present is a staggering collage of guitars and drums, bells, tambourines, brass, and every other manner of beep or squeak under the sun, all falling in line in lush, swaying arrangements.
- 1tambourinist noun
- Example sentences
- At this stage we are confident however there is a rumour circulating around musical circles that one of the tambourinists may be taking a ‘break’ from music mid to late next year.
- Many tambourinists hold the instrument still and move only the hand that is striking it.
- If you're lucky, you can catch the odd open-air concert in the harbourside area to the south: Polish folk music or tambourinists from Burkhina Faso.
Late 16th century: from French tambourin (see tambourin).
Words that rhyme with tambourineAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tangerine, teen, terrine, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
Definition of tambourine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.