- A type of public address system.More example sentences
- But when we got off the plane at Heathrow on our way home we heard our names being called over the tannoy.
- ‘This is your captain speaking,’ said a disembodied voice over the tannoy.
- Even festive songs are being played over the tannoy.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Transmit or announce over a tannoy: the news was tannoyed one afternoonMore example sentences
- Our picture producers will tannoy a warning when gruesome pictures are expected - and an e-mail will be sent out to all relevant newsdesks.
- He has taken to tannoying terms of endearment to his publicity officer.
- I went back in store, someone tannoyed his No plate.
1920s: contraction of tantalum alloy, which is used as a rectifier in the system.