A plant of the daisy family with yellow flat-topped button-like flower heads and aromatic leaves, formerly used in cookery and medicine.
- Genus Tanacetum, family Compositae: several species, in particular the common Eurasian T. vulgare
More example sentences
- Plant tansy or basil around the patio and house to repel mosquitoes.
- It is home to hundreds of species of wildflowers and grasses - including the tansy, meadowsweet, poppy, vetch and marigold - a host of butterflies, insects and beetles, and birds of prey such as the owl and kestrel.
- Many herbs can help to deter flies, such as lavender, sweet woodruff, lemon verbena, star anise, tansy, any of the mints, rosemary, bay, chamomile, rue, elder, southernwood and basil.
Middle English: from Old French tanesie, probably from medieval Latin athanasia 'immortality', from Greek.
Definition of tansy in:
- The US English dictionary