- A tall New Zealand forest tree of the laurel family, which bears damson-like fruit.
More example sentences
- Beilschmiedia tawa, family Lauraceae
- The waterway we have been following loops around this island of scrub, which is surrounded by old-growth tawa and rimu forest.
mid 19th century: from Maori.
- A circular griddle used in South Asia, especially for cooking chapattis.More example sentences
- Immigrants have been known to tuck in a wooden chakla-velan, the rolling pin and board, or a metal tawa or griddle for making homemade chapattis, into their luggage.
- Choose from the assortment, stuffed with a variety of fillings and cooked to your order in the tandoor or on a tawa.
- Of course, everything is smacked and sizzled together on a tawa.
from Hindi and Punjabi tavā.