- A device used in taxis that automatically records the distance travelled and the fare payable.More example sentences
- For all journeys outside the taximeter areas, fares may be negotiated between driver and customer.
- He highlighted that taximeters will not be changing over to the Euro until midday on January 1.
- From Monday, January 28, Laois County Council set maximum fare structure for taxis licensed to operate in the taximeter area of Portlaoise.
late 19th century: from French taximètre, from taxe 'tariff', from the verb taxer 'to tax' + -mètre '(instrument) measuring'.
More definitions of taximeterDefinition of taximeter in:
- The US English dictionary