- 1 [mass noun] Hard durable timber used in shipbuilding and for making furniture.More example sentences
- Gone are the days when valuable timber like rosewood and teak were considered predominant for construction works and furniture making.
- Designed to blend in with the natural environment, this kind of outdoor furniture is usually constructed from hardy, durable woods like teak or redwood.
- With evidence like that, it's not at all hard to see why teak is commonly used in the construction, shipbuilding, and outdoor furniture industry.
- 2The large deciduous tree native to India and SE Asia which yields teak.
More example sentences
- Tectona grandis, family Verbenaceae
- The company Haritha Plantations had come up about a decade ago with an aim to grow teaks and mangium in barren lands he bought at Palghat and Thenmala in Kerala and Kuttalam and Pattakurichi in Tamil Nadu.
- A teak tree exporter called police after a man purporting to be a football player on the Thai national team left her broke and stranded here in Pattaya.
- Tip-toe through the teak trees: Lou is experimenting with rotating sheep through the lots for easy grass and weed maintenance.
late 17th century: from Portuguese teca, from Tamil and Malayalam tēkku.
More definitions of teakDefinition of teak in:
- The US English dictionary