Definition of teaspoon in English:
1A small spoon used typically for adding sugar to and stirring hot drinks or for eating some foods.
- In 1783 Revere made twenty-four spoons engraved with the Swan crest - six large spoons, twelve large teaspoons, and six tablespoons.
- One can play metal teaspoons, tablespoons, soup spoons, and wooden spoons.
- We have a pot, water jug, fresh milk and sugar but no teaspoons.
1.1 (abbreviation: tsp) The amount held by a teaspoon, in the UK considered to be 5 millilitres when used as a measurement in cookery.
- If you irrigate, and your water is also alkaline, acidify it with 2 teaspoons of vinegar per gallon of water.
- In cooking, ingredients are expressed in teaspoons, tablespoons, ounces, pounds, and cups.
- A calorie is a measurement, just like a teaspoon or an inch.
teaspoonful noun (plural teaspoonfuls)
- Example sentences
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet, about an inch apart.
- I love their piney, resinous, spicy smell, but you could add a teaspoonful of caraway seed - an old friend of the cabbage - instead.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls on ungreased baking sheet.
Words that rhyme with teaspoonforenoon • tablespoon
Definition of teaspoon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan