Definition of technocrat in English:
1An exponent or advocate of technocracy.
- Simultaneously, a forward-looking bishop authorized young Christian Democrat technocrats to experiment with transferring church-owned farms to their workers.
- Is there anyway to guess whether he's going to be a reformer or a conservative or a technocrat or an ideologue?
- The economic planning by technocrats in the Fourth Republic paid off with high growth rates in France in the early years of the Fifth Republic.
1.1A member of a technically skilled elite.
- Rapid industrialization under the Five Year Plans required massive numbers of experts, technocrats, skilled workers, engineers and managers.
- These factions are made up of secular and moderate religious movements and count among their members a number of technocrats and individuals with an unblemished history of patriotism.
- The ancien regime and its destruction by the French Revolution had to be synthesized and made meaningful by a new clergy of elites: the technocrats.
- Example sentences
- After all, if you're living in a technocratic society, it seems perfectly reasonable to try to predict the future by extrapolating trends in science and engineering.
- In a situation where unbridled consumer choice is unquestionably accepted as a value, it's impossible to go beyond technocratic and economic approaches to sustainability.
- Political decision-making is reduced to a series of technocratic management problems, unrelated to our everyday experiences and problems.
- Example sentences
- It was a sophisticated, technologically and technocratically advanced place, but it's undergone some severe hardship, obviously, because of the sanctions, because of the regime, and now because of the war.
- Complementing his ‘cheeky chappy’ mayoral persona with a technocratically sound management of London's transport he became overwhelmingly the most popular politician in London.
- It seemed logical that the unglamorous, nuts-and-bolts business of ‘transition’ would now be managed by the more technocratically adept man.
Words that rhyme with technocratbureaucrat • aristocrat
Definition of technocrat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan