Definition of tectum in English:
1The uppermost part of the midbrain, lying to the rear of the cerebral aqueduct.
- Although medial and lateral gaze palsies are typical, patients usually retain upper eyelid control and vertical eye movement because of sparing of the mid-brain tectum, which allows communication.
- Each trochlear nerve makes its exit through the caudal tectum (the dorsal portion of the midbrain), immediately lateral to the frenulum of the superior medullary velum.
- Recently, we presented evidence for an involvement of histamine in the generation and organization of such defensive reactions in the midbrain tectum.
1.1 (in full optic tectum) A rounded swelling (colliculus) forming part of the tectum and containing cells involved in the visual system.
- Brains were removed and dissected into telencephalon (excluding the olfactory bulbs), hypothalamus (excluding the pituitary), optic tectum, and brain stem (excluding the cerebellum).
- In fish, the optic tecta and cerebellum, which can be thought of as the functional equivalent of the optic lobes, occupy approximately one-half of total brain volume.
- However, expression appeared to be greater in the cerebellum, ectostriatum, paleostriatum, and layers of the optic tectum, suggesting regional differences in regulation.
Early 20th century: from Latin, literally 'roof'.
Definition of tectum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan