Definition of teletype in English:
noun( trademark in the US)
1A kind of teleprinter.
- I remember the sound of wires humming and teletypes hammering away with wire services.
- These older editors were designed for use on a teletype and could display only one line of text at a time.
- In a fit of anger and frustration she threw away all her teletype machines one day and refused to use the relay services any more.
verb[with object and usually with adverbial of direction] Back to top
Send (a message) by means of a teleprinter: stand by to teletype the details to Headquarters
More example sentences
- The US intelligence officer knew this and he immediately teletyped the message to Washington.
- I do remember teletyping you a message a few days before the last mission and finding out that you were still okay.
- In constructing a simulation of paranoid thought processes, we designed an algorithm capable of handling the linguistic expressions used by interviewers in teletyped diagnostic psychiatric interviews.
Definition of teletype in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia