- A marine bivalve mollusc which lives buried in the sand siphoning detritus from the surface around its burrow.
More example sentences
- Family Tellinidae: Tellina and other genera
- The middle regions of the beach are surf-beaten, but the sheltered southern corner, at low tide, reveals fine sands thickly populated with razor shells, tellins, surf clams and sand mason worms.
- Other prey, such as bristle worms, razor shells and tellins are also taken when available.
- Also try tippets of razorfish, cockle, mussel and especially small tellin clams found after storms washed up on the beaches.
early 18th century: from Greek tellinē, denoting a kind of shellfish.