Definition of telnet in English:
1A network protocol that allows a user on one computer to log into another computer that is part of the same network.
- By connecting through the console server to a device console using simple telnet, the network manager is able to do so without the need for vendor-specific or other specialized software.
- But inside such a network, rlogin, telnet and the other r * commands give excellent and much more convenient service within their respective realms of use.
- To allow telnet access into a Cisco router, configure the VTY lines with a password and the login command.
1.1 [count noun] A program that establishes a connection from one computer to another by means of telnet.
- With no fancy graphic interfaces or elaborate designs, a user simply connects to a server using a MOO client program or telnet, logs in and begins interacting within the environment.
- One of the applications that we used at the time was a telnet emulator called Kermit.
- If the user is to be allowed to enter privileged exec mode during a telnet session, an enable password or enable secret must be set.
1.2 [count noun] A link established using a telnet program.
- Thus, a telnet connection between two computers will almost certainly include two IP addresses, an arbitrary port on the client, and the well-known port 23 on the server.
- Once the dæmon is running, connect from a terminal window by doing a telnet to the port you defined.
- Oooh, I see you've a large number of telnet connections to dialup lines in the Netherlands.
verb (telnets, telnetting, telnetted)[no object] informal Back to top
Log into a remote computer using a telnet program.
- Just five years ago, cutting-edge college students were telnetting to their University libraries to find research materials.
- So far, we have been telnetting or SSHing to each machine one at a time to get the new root password in, because the root password won't map to each machine.
- There's also another method to use so the user is placed directly into privileged exec mode when telnetting in, avoiding the enable password prompt.
- Example sentences
- So we either need to telnet into the CE box, then telnet from there into the linux machine, or find a way to have the linux machine be telnettable from outside the 255.255.255.0 subnet.
- AnotherNet BBS is a telnettable Synchronet Bulletin Board System featuring 100% spam-free text-based discussion groups, games, chat, and more.
- I used DG for some time in a similar environment, but with ancient terminal annex devices that were telnettable (TCP / IP), that used serial ports (on the DG box).
Words that rhyme with telnetdragnet • Fastnet • hairnet
Definition of telnet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.