Definition of telnet in English:
1A network protocol that allows a user on one computer to log into another computer that is part of the same network.
- By connecting through the console server to a device console using simple telnet, the network manager is able to do so without the need for vendor-specific or other specialized software.
- But inside such a network, rlogin, telnet and the other r * commands give excellent and much more convenient service within their respective realms of use.
- To allow telnet access into a Cisco router, configure the VTY lines with a password and the login command.
1.1 [count noun] A program that establishes a connection from one computer to another by means of telnet.
- With no fancy graphic interfaces or elaborate designs, a user simply connects to a server using a MOO client program or telnet, logs in and begins interacting within the environment.
- One of the applications that we used at the time was a telnet emulator called Kermit.
- If the user is to be allowed to enter privileged exec mode during a telnet session, an enable password or enable secret must be set.
1.2 [count noun] A link established using a telnet program.
- Thus, a telnet connection between two computers will almost certainly include two IP addresses, an arbitrary port on the client, and the well-known port 23 on the server.
- Once the dæmon is running, connect from a terminal window by doing a telnet to the port you defined.
- Oooh, I see you've a large number of telnet connections to dialup lines in the Netherlands.
verb (telnets, telnetting, telnetted)[no object] informal Back to top
Log into a remote computer using a telnet program.
- Just five years ago, cutting-edge college students were telnetting to their University libraries to find research materials.
- So far, we have been telnetting or SSHing to each machine one at a time to get the new root password in, because the root password won't map to each machine.
- There's also another method to use so the user is placed directly into privileged exec mode when telnetting in, avoiding the enable password prompt.
- Example sentences
- So we either need to telnet into the CE box, then telnet from there into the linux machine, or find a way to have the linux machine be telnettable from outside the 255.255.255.0 subnet.
- AnotherNet BBS is a telnettable Synchronet Bulletin Board System featuring 100% spam-free text-based discussion groups, games, chat, and more.
- I used DG for some time in a similar environment, but with ancient terminal annex devices that were telnettable (TCP / IP), that used serial ports (on the DG box).
Definition of telnet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia