A compound structure at the end of a chromosome.
- Which chromosomes have the shortest telomeres depends only on telomere length in the original parent mice.
- These two genes are tightly linked to the left telomere of the X chromosome.
- In normal somatic cells, the telomeres shorten with replicative age, and telomerase is not detected.
- Example sentences
- Based on these findings, it is reasonable to conclude that telomeric regions of mitotic chromosomes are not unusually susceptible to crossover.
- This ancestral telomeric element has evolved to optimize telomere maintenance.
- Such a widespread conservation of telomeric silencing among eukaryotes suggests that it is fundamental to telomere function.
1940s: from Greek telos 'end' + meros 'part'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: telo|mere
Definition of telomere in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.