Definition of telomere in English:
A compound structure at the end of a chromosome.
- Which chromosomes have the shortest telomeres depends only on telomere length in the original parent mice.
- These two genes are tightly linked to the left telomere of the X chromosome.
- In normal somatic cells, the telomeres shorten with replicative age, and telomerase is not detected.
1940s: from Greek telos 'end' + meros 'part'.
- Example sentences
- Based on these findings, it is reasonable to conclude that telomeric regions of mitotic chromosomes are not unusually susceptible to crossover.
- This ancestral telomeric element has evolved to optimize telomere maintenance.
- Such a widespread conservation of telomeric silencing among eukaryotes suggests that it is fundamental to telomere function.
Definition of telomere in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India