A violent windy storm: a raging tempest figurative a worldwide tempest of economic recession
More example sentences
- Abruptly following, a hoard of men appeared on the ridge, and with a howl like a raging tempest, chaos erupted.
- The first thing I noticed as we approached the front door was that outside seemed to be caught up in a violent tempest.
- Calm seas and easy winds do not test a ship's worthiness, but it is the tempest and the hurricane that show her true metal.
a tempest in a teapot
- North American term for a storm in a teacup (see storm).Example sentences
- In reality, the firestorm of publicity engulfing Gaughan was nothing more than a tempest in a teapot.
- A review of the registration process might prove whether this is a tempest in a teapot.
- A more valid criticism, perhaps, is that the report is a tempest in a teapot.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: tem|pest
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.