1Tending to keep a firm hold of something; clinging or adhering closely: a tenacious grip
More example sentences
- They brushed at tenacious bits of clinging greenery.
- I think that Africa will always hold a tenacious grip on me, and I do feel sad to be leaving my friends.
- Popular culture has a tenacious grip on most kids, parents, and even us teachers.
1.1Not readily relinquishing a position, principle, or course of action; determined: this tenacious defence of local liberties you’re tenacious and you get at the truth
1.2Persisting in existence; not easily dispelled: a tenacious local legend
More example sentences
- His rosy view has proved remarkably tenacious.
- These hardy and tenacious insects have lived on the planet for 400 million years.
- The tribal loyalties of some hostel residents have proved tenacious.
persevering, persistent, pertinacious, determined, dogged, single-minded, strong-willed, tireless, indefatigable, resolute, patient, purposeful, diligent, assiduous, sedulous, unflagging, staunch, steadfast, untiring, unwavering, unswerving, unshakeable, unyielding, uncompromising, insistent, importunate, relentless, unrelenting, inexorable, implacable;
stubborn, intransigent, obstinate, obdurate, stiff-necked;
North American rock-ribbed
- Example sentences
- His determination, tenaciousness and commitment to the game makes him one of our truly great players.
- Much of this stubborn tenaciousness was inherited from his devoted mother.
- One never feels that he is wholly approving of the growing tenaciousness of William and Emily's relationship.
Early 17th century: from Latin tenax, tenac- (from tenere 'to hold') + -ious.
Words that rhyme with tenaciousAthanasius, audacious, bodacious, cactaceous, capacious, carbonaceous, contumacious, Cretaceous, curvaceous, disputatious, edacious, efficacious, fallacious, farinaceous, flirtatious, foliaceous, fugacious, gracious, hellacious, herbaceous, Ignatius, loquacious, mendacious, mordacious, ostentatious, perspicacious, pertinacious, pugnacious, rapacious, sagacious, salacious, saponaceous, sebaceous, sequacious, setaceous, spacious, veracious, vexatious, vivacious, voracious
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ten|acious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.