Definition of tendency in English:
noun (plural tendencies)[often with infinitive]
1An inclination towards a particular characteristic or type of behaviour: for students, there is a tendency to socialize in the evenings criminal tendencies
More example sentences
- The human race has a pervasive tendency towards religious conviction.
- I have a tendency to scratch vigorously behind my right knee when distracted.
- He has a tendency to be ruthless when he has tired of a girlfriend.
1.1A group within a larger political party or movement.
- Other tendencies or parties will prevail and hold the movement back.
- Two political tendencies emerged during this period of rampant anti-Semitism.
- These political tendencies are expected to register gains in the coming election.
Words that rhyme with tendencyascendancy, intendancy, interdependency, pendency, resplendency, superintendency, transcendency
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan