noun (plural teocallis)
- A temple of the Aztecs or other Mexican peoples, typically standing on a truncated pyramid.More example sentences
- In addition, Mr. Bellecourt travels with Mexican elders to visit the pyramids of the sun and moon, teocallis in Nahuatl, the Aztec earth history calendar at the Museum of Anthropology, and the grandmother moon-time calendar, Coyolxauiqui.
- On top of the Mexican teocallis - a truncated, or polled pyramid, with a temple atop - stood two colossal statues, one to the sun, the other to the moon.
- I just remember Cortez ordering his cannon to fire and the Spaniards marching around the bloodstained teocallis and little else.
American Spanish, from Nahuatl teo:kalli, from teo:tl 'god' + kalli 'house'.
More definitions of teocalliDefinition of teocalli in:
- The US English dictionary