Definition of terminator in English:
1A person or thing that terminates something.
- Techniques intended to monitor foetal health became terminators of the female foetus.
- In the end, I chose an electronic insect terminator, and I am not unhappy!
- The public is given a fearful impression with images of Frankenstein foods, killer tomatoes, and terminator seeds.
1.1 Biochemistry A sequence of polynucleotides that causes transcription to end and the newly synthesized nucleic acid to be released from the template molecule.
- If transcription through such DNA regions is impeded by means of a transcription terminator or by shutting off the promoter, hyperrecombination is abolished.
- The upstream rRNA transcription terminator and a hairpin structure downstream of recD, which might work as a transcription terminator, are shown.
- In wild-type chromosomes, these proteins are confined to the heterochromatic DNA sequences either by terminator sequences or by proximally directed initiators.
2 Astronomy The dividing line between the light and dark part of a planetary body.
- The terminator of the planet was visible at it's edge, and some artificial light brightened the thickening dusk on the night side.
- Anyone standing on the surface of the moon would see the sun gradually rise as the terminator passes them and the area goes from dark to light.
- Looking along the line separating the bright and dark halves (the terminator line), at you can make out a decently prominent crater near the top of the lower quarter.
Definition of terminator in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.