Definition of terrarium in English:
noun (plural terrariums or terraria /-rɪə/)
1A vivarium for smaller land animals, especially reptiles, amphibians, or terrestrial invertebrates, typically in the form of a glass-fronted case.
- We examined a captive animal in a terrarium, where I fed it samples of the plants that grow on the mounds.
- Males were kept together in a terrarium (70 x 30 cm, height 30 cm) until September, with ad libitum food and water.
- He's been fascinated with these creatures since childhood and now shares his bedroom with six of them in a large terrarium.
1.1A sealed transparent globe or similar container in which plants are grown.
- When looking for what plants to put in your terrarium, first choose plants that love moisture and don't grow very large.
- Plants were placed in terraria in controlled-environment rooms programmed to simulate natural temperature cycles with smooth, sine-wave thermoperiods that lagged the photoperiod by 3 h.
- One of the most common pairings for a terrarium are carnivorous plants and orchids.
Definition of terrarium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan