- A small tropical freshwater fish that is typically brightly coloured. Native to Africa and America, many tetras are popular in aquaria.
More example sentences
- Numerous genera and species in the family Characidae, including the neon tetra
- We have a freshwater fish tank community of tetras, catfish, gouramis and loaches.
- Like many tetras, the glowlight tetra is a schooling fish and prefers to swim in the company of at least seven of its peers.
- The freshwater mollies and tetras are rather ferocious and may take chunks out of your skin like miniature piranhas.
mid 20th century: abbreviation of modern Latin Tetragonopterus (former genus name), literally 'tetragonal finned'.
More definitions of tetraDefinition of tetra in:
- The US English dictionary