- A drug formerly used as a sedative, but withdrawn in the UK in the early 1960s after it was found to cause congenital malformation or absence of limbs in children whose mothers took the drug during early pregnancy.More example sentences
- Kevin is one of the many people born with shortened limbs after his mother took thalidomide to treat morning sickness during pregnancy.
- Cases of phocomelia in the early 1960's in Germany and Australia led to the identification of thalidomide as a human teratogen.
- Medications like thalidomide or isotretinon can cause tragic birth defects.
1950s: from (ph)thal(ic acid) + (im)ido + (i)mide.
More definitions of thalidomideDefinition of thalidomide in:
- The US English dictionary