- 1A scientific toy devised in the 19th century, consisting of a disc with a different picture on each of its two sides, these appearing to combine into one image when the disc is rapidly rotated.More example sentences
- Below you see the two sides of an early 20th century thaumatrope of a horse and circus bare back rider.
- Twirl the thaumatrope by rolling the string between thumb and forefinger of each hand as fast as you can.
- When you spin the thaumatrope, the images appear to combine, putting the parrot inside the birdcage.
- 1.1 another term for zoetrope.
early 19th century: from Greek thauma 'marvel' + -tropos '-turning'.