Definition of thermochemistry in English:
The branch of chemistry concerned with the quantities of heat evolved or absorbed during chemical reactions.
- This facilitated the steady advances being made in the field of thermodynamics and in thermochemistry, which is the application of thermodynamics to chemical processes.
- The basic laws of thermochemistry can be expressed in terms of the change in enthalpy.
- This line of research was later developed by the Swiss-Russian chemist Henri Hess in the 1830s. Hess's development and extension of the work of Lavoisier and Laplace has earned him the title of father of thermochemistry.
- Example sentences
- Gases rich in hydrogen sulphide associated with thermochemical sulphate reduction are common features of petroleums found in deep reservoirs in the Gulf of Mexico and Alberta.
- Since 1948, the thermochemical calorie has been defined as equivalent to 4.1840 joules.
- However, some hydrocarbons may react with the rocks, as in the case of thermochemical sulfate reduction (discussed below).
Definition of thermochemistry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.