Definition of thermoluminescence in English:
The property of some materials which have accumulated energy over a long period of becoming luminescent when pretreated and subjected to high temperatures, used as a means of dating ancient ceramics and other artefacts.
- Many minerals heated at hundreds of degrees emit luminescence, so that thermoluminescence has been used initially in geology, archeological dating and radiation dosimetry.
- The thermoluminescence does not manifest itself until a temperature of 932°F is reached.
- To determine the time since the object was last fired, a sample of around 30 mg is removed and heated to 500°C, which releases the stored energy in the form of light - this is thermoluminescence.
- Example sentences
- I changed the wick and coated it with thermoluminescent salts which glow when they get hot.
- A still further object of the present invention is to provide various uses for thermoluminescent material.
- External radiation exposure rates were measured at locations on and off the Hanford Site using thermoluminescent dosimeters (TLDs).
Definition of thermoluminescence in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia