- An organic compound containing the group —SH, i.e. a sulphur-containing analogue of an alcohol. Also called mercaptan.More example sentences
- It is not yet known why we are so sensitive to thiols compared to their alcohol equivalents.
- Chemically, thiols occur readily in petroleum processes such as distillation.
- The majority of the essential element, sulphur, in living organisms is in the reduced form of organic thiols, such as the amino acids cysteine and methionine.
More definitions of thiolDefinition of thiol in:
- The US English dictionary