- A compound able to inhibit the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms, used as a medical disinfectant and preservative for biological products.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C9H9O2SHgNa
- This was strengthened a few weeks ago when US researchers suggested a mercury-based preservative, thiomersal used in the vaccine for whooping cough could be linked to the development of the condition.
- We are told that the mercury-based preservative thiomersal will no longer be used in the whooping cough vaccine ‘as part of a worldwide aim of reducing exposure to the element.’
- The removal of the mercury-based preservative, thiomersal, comes weeks after researchers in the US suggested that it could be linked to the development of autism.
1950s; from thio- + mer(cury) + sal(icylate).