noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting the divalent radical SO: thionyl chlorideMore example sentences
- The methyl halide can be produced by reacting methanol with phosphorous halides, hydrogen halides, or, in the case of methyl chloride, thionyl chloride.
- The resulting ester was saponified under basic conditions to the free acid, converted to the acyl chloride with thionyl chloride, and then to the amide with anhydrous ammonia gas.
- Schedule 3 comprises a number of toxic or precursor chemicals with widespread industrial uses, such as phosgene, hydrogen cyanide, phosphorus trichloride and thionyl chloride.
1857: so named by H. Schiff (see Schiff base).
More definitions of thionylDefinition of thionyl in:
- The US English dictionary