Of inferior or very poor quality: a third-rate boarding house
More example sentences
- I don't think I could write anything substantial about a third-rate painter, or a fourth-rate composer.
- I am so angry at this appalling, second or third-rate service being provided to non-private patients.
- It's perhaps the ultimate confirmation of what an insecure, pathetic third-rate talent Williams is that he not only feels the need to put one over on his opponent, but that he tells people about it.
appalling, abysmal, atrocious, abject, awful, terrible, dismal, dreadful, execrable, frightful, miserable, wretched, lamentable, deplorable, pitiful, inadequate, insufficient, unsatisfactory, unacceptable;
British cheap and nasty;
North American cheapjack
informal lousy, not much cop, not up to much, crummy, bum, diabolical, rotten, sad, tatty, tacky, dire, tenth-rate
- More example sentences
- The cast was generally slated as being some third-raters.
- I don't befriend second-raters or third-raters.
- He fought steadily and compiled an undefeated record against mostly third-raters.