Obstruction of a blood vessel by a blood clot that has become dislodged from another site in the circulation: [mass noun]: any condition that may predispose to thromboembolism [count noun]: he developed myocarditis, which caused a thromboembolism
More example sentences
- Patients with cancer who develop a thromboembolism should be treated in a similar manner to patients without cancer.
- Systemic thromboembolism is a common complication of cardiac mural thrombosis.
- Pulmonary thromboembolism is a common complication in nephrotic patients.
- Example sentences
- The patients most at risk from stroke are those with a history of thromboembolic disease, diabetes, hypertension, and cardiac failure and those female patients more than 75 years old.
- Clinical data obtained were death from thromboembolic causes, recurrent DVT or pulmonary emboli, and major bleeding episodes.
- For a list of risk factors for deep venous thrombosis and other thromboembolic disorders, see Table 1.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: thrombo|embol¦ism
Definition of thromboembolism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.