noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- An enzyme released from damaged cells, especially platelets, which converts prothrombin to thrombin during the early stages of blood coagulation.More example sentences
- In the second stage, prothrombin is activated by thromboplastin to make thrombin.
- Indicated tests include a complete blood cell count with platelet count, a peripheral blood smear, and prothrombin and activated partial thromboplastin times.
- The atrial fibrillation group also had more hematologic tests done, including more prothrombin and partial thromboplastin times.
More definitions of thromboplastinDefinition of thromboplastin in:
- The US English dictionary