1A person or thing that thrusts.
- Well, I don't think we should aggravate the woes of the NHS with thousands of Tory thrusters queueing up for speech therapy and gender reassignment.
- Who are the young thrusters in the England squad?
- Entirely staffed by young thrusters and perpetual Peter Pans, television is simply not a grown-up medium.
1.1A small rocket engine on a spacecraft, used to make alterations in its flight path or altitude.
- Using small thrusters, the spacecraft will rotate so that the solar panels are oriented perpendicular to the Sun.
- The Busek Company will provide a set of miniature ion thrusters capable of controlling spacecraft position with extremely fine precision.
- Other features, such as a telescope and finely tuned thrusters, enable the spacecraft to stay exactly oriented on a distant star.
1.2A secondary jet or propeller on a ship or offshore rig, used for accurate manoeuvring and maintenance of position.
- The ship has two retractable thrusters for manoeuvring and position keeping.
- The superstructure of the ferry ‘Norse Viking’ started to vibrate gently as below the engines and thrusters of the huge ship began to drive her into reverse and alongside the berth.
- Azimuthal thrusters and a dynamic positioning system are fitted for holding the position and heading steady during operations involving embarking or disembarking landing craft.
1.3A surfboard or sailboard capable of increased speed and manoeuvrability.
- There are a few surfers out on mals, bodyboards, and thrusters, but there's plenty of room for all.
- What about thrusters… you weren't a fan of them when they came out.
- Debates range from tow-in versus paddle in and thruster versus single fin all the way down to which local spot hosts the worthiest crew.
Words that rhyme with thrusteradjuster, Augusta, bluster, buster, cluster, Custer, duster, fluster, lustre (US luster), muster, truster
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: thrust¦er
Definition of thruster in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.