Definition of thud in English:
- The elevator slammed into the ground with a dull thud, and the doors screeched open.
- He and the coffee table hit the ground with a loud thud and the sound for breaking wood.
- A little later we hear two dull thuds echoing across the valley as one of the Apaches fires its missiles.
verb (thuds, thudding, thudded)[no object] Back to top
- He tumbled down the incline, head over heels amid falling debris, and thudded against something soft.
- We were flying over the land as the pounding of the hooves thudded in our hearts.
- His heavy boots thudded against the pavement of a desolate road as he kept on walking in a semiconscious daze.
- The tone was set when Sutton rumbled through the back of little Graham Weir in the opening minutes with a thudding tackle which, in fairness, took the ball.
- They are rehearsing the opera in a community hall in Mudchute, a desolate stretch of the Isle of Dogs trapped between the banking towers of Canary Wharf and the thudding aimlessness of deprived estates.
- He maintains with a thudding predictability that success hasn't changed him.
- 1thuddingly adverb
- [as submodifier]: rarely has a life-affirming finale seemed more thuddingly sentimentalMore example sentences
- Perhaps troubled by the thought that his approach is too understated, he revisits the theme in the thuddingly titled Song 3.
- For a band so thuddingly mainstream as Coldplay, they do seem to have a good line in sensing public opinion.
- But more often than not, shows that unfurl in real time are thuddingly dull.
Late Middle English (originally Scots): probably from Old English thyddan 'to thrust, push'; related to thoden 'violent wind'. The noun is recorded first denoting a sudden blast or gust of wind, later the sound of a thunderclap, whence a dull, heavy sound. The verb dates from the early 16th century.
Words that rhyme with thudblood, bud, crud, cud, dud, flood, Judd, mud, rudd, scud, spud, stud, sudd
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.