1The nail of the thumb.
- The body might be the length approximately, or slightly more than the length of an adult thumbnail, the legs obviously make the spider a little bit bigger than that.
- The point of entry can be marked with an impression from a thumbnail, a needle cap, or an indelible ink pen.
- In the centre we find a brown seed the size of your thumbnail, elongated and glabrous as river stone.
2 [usually as modifier] A very small or concise description, representation, or summary: a thumbnail sketch
More example sentences
- Here is a thumbnail sketch of the history of NHL expansion.
- Should a critic drop her defences in the face of soft journalism, thumbnail description and popular explanation?
- Based on that thumbnail description, it sounds more like a classic ‘lone assassin’ than an Islamist plot.
2.1 Computing A small picture of an image or page layout.
- Most notably, Mirra will also soon provide thumbnail images next to picture files stored on its server.
- A successful search displays a page of thumbnail images, which represent a product line.
- Google gives you a thumbnail image of some Web pages, but it is too small to be of much use.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: thumb|nail
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.