Definition of thumbnail in English:
1The nail of the thumb.
- The body might be the length approximately, or slightly more than the length of an adult thumbnail, the legs obviously make the spider a little bit bigger than that.
- The point of entry can be marked with an impression from a thumbnail, a needle cap, or an indelible ink pen.
- In the centre we find a brown seed the size of your thumbnail, elongated and glabrous as river stone.
2 [usually as modifier] A very small or concise description, representation, or summary: a thumbnail sketch
More example sentences
- Here is a thumbnail sketch of the history of NHL expansion.
- Should a critic drop her defences in the face of soft journalism, thumbnail description and popular explanation?
- Based on that thumbnail description, it sounds more like a classic ‘lone assassin’ than an Islamist plot.
2.1 Computing A small picture of an image or page layout.
- Most notably, Mirra will also soon provide thumbnail images next to picture files stored on its server.
- A successful search displays a page of thumbnail images, which represent a product line.
- Google gives you a thumbnail image of some Web pages, but it is too small to be of much use.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan