- 1An impression or mark made on a surface by the inner part of the top joint of the thumb, especially as used for identifying individuals from the unique pattern of whorls and lines: the stolen item was traceable through her thumbprint dirty thumbprintsMore example sentences
- The library includes new technology which means children can borrow a book by putting their thumb on to a machine which recognises their individual thumbprints.
- He also added a design on the back of the ‘bills’ consisting of five circles, in which the new purchasers were to place their thumbprint as a mark of ownership.
- Geoff signs all his paintings with his own unique signature - a thumbprint.
- 1.1A distinctive identifying characteristic: it has an individuality and thumbprint of its ownMore example sentences
- Our thumbprints, our handprints are all over this plan.
- We acknowledge that this change in the shape of the EU is indeed constitutional, does mark something pretty big, and merits the thumbprint of the nation to endorse it.
- His thumbprint is everywhere; he had a finger in every pie.
More definitions of thumbprintDefinition of thumbprint in:
- The US English dictionary